Being single on Valentine’s Day can be difficult. The spirit of love is everywhere and the only thing you can think about is how you’re alone – again. What if you could make the day work in your favor? What if being solo or single on Valentine’s wasn’t so bad?
Since I was 18 years old (so my adult years) I’ve only celebrated V-Day with someone once. One time! I was always the single friend and always alone on Valentine’s Day. I experienced every emotion in relation to this holiday, especially anger and jealousy, but now I’m cool with being solo.
don’t forget to pin this!
Ollivette uses affiliate links
Some years I enjoy time with myself and take myself on a date, some years I don’t even care that it’s February 14th.
I’m at a point in my life where it is freeing to approach each day for what it is – the rising and setting of the sun. If I want to make it more, I do. If I can’t be bothered, I go to sleep. I’m also at a point where I can celebrate Valentines any day of the year. Love is love and I don’t feel bound by marketing. (I work in marketing so I def don’t feel any pressure to play by its rules.)
Today I am sharing Valentine’s Day ideas for those of you who are single this year or who might not be able to spend it with your partner.
I understand it might be hard to see everyone out there “living their best Valentine’s life” but you deserve to create your own version of happiness. Don’t limit yourself just because you’re not boo’d up.
14 things to do when you’re single on Valentine’s Day
- Try a new recipe – on Valentine’s Day, I loooooooove cooking a nice romantic dinner for myself. I find cooking fancy food to be really satisfying and it’s one of my fav forms of self-love. Combined with a nice glass of Sauvignon Blanc and I’m in heaven. I’ve curated some yummy recipes on Pinterest for you to try!
- Get dressed up and have a night out – being single on Valentine’s Day doesn’t mean you have to stay home. Put on something cute and head out on the town! Let everybody see you living your best solo life. Be super cliche and wear a red number!
- Pamper yourself – enjoy a relaxing bath, do a facial, give yourself a mani/pedi; enjoy whatever falls into your definition of pampering! I have an entire list devoted to pampering treats – you can double up and use them for a lazy Sunday morning in!
- Volunteer – giving back to others is the ultimate definition of love. There are so many charities needing a helping hand, why not give back for Valentine’s Day?
- Go shopping – give yourself a Valentines gift. Treat yourself to a little something-something cause you deserve it! On a budget? Give yourself a limit of 10£/$ – you’d be surprised at what you can find!
- Read a book – I know this seems soooooo boring to some but a romantic solo night in doesn’t have to be dramatic. A quiet night catching up on reading sounds super delicious to me. I recommend Slay In Your Lane (check out my book review on this bestseller).
- Have a solo junk food session – if I’m not cooking a romantic meal for one, chances are I’m pigging out and watching Anime. My go to is usually pizza, followed by ice-cream and a smooth Gin & Tonic. As for Anime suggestions, you can never go wrong with Attack on Titan or anything from the great Miyazaki.
- Have some “me time” – come on, you knew I would suggest getting romantical with the most important person in your life. There’s nothing wrong with enjoying your own company and you deserve only the best when it comes to your pleasure. I recommend this treat, this toy, this goody, and this bad boy. Thank me later.
- Dance to your fav 90s music – I love me some good 90s jams. I will play TLC’s Creep on repeat till my speakers die. Now combine that with junk food?? Um, heaven!
- Make it a videogame night – I’m all in the mood for some Sims usually. I am not a purist, I will motherlode my way to the best house on the block!
- Create Valentine’s treats for your BFF’s – if you have a big heart it might be fun to bake or make a few treats for your friends. Who cares if they get it after Valentine’s Day, it’s the thought that counts. Plus, you get to eat even more yummy snacks!
- Get tix for an epic solo trip – if you’ve never done a solo trip, this is your year! I prefer traveling by myself because I can do things on my own time. My fav places I’ve traveled solo have been Lisbon and Barcelona. Get your passport, book your tix and go!
- Clean the blues away – last year Mrs. Hinch took the internet by storm and while I do not understand the fascination with her (like…we’ve been cleaning forever so…), I do agree cleaning makes me feel motivated to get more things done.
- Treat it like another day – don’t care? That’s cool. Wake up, brush your teeth and get on with the day.
Single on Valentine’s Day? Avoid doing these 5 things!
Since I love you so much, I’m going to share a few things you should not do on Valentine’s Day. These tips are for those of you who need a little extra help with embracing your single status on Valentine’s Day.
- Don’t download dating apps – I’m not against dating apps (okay maybe I am 60% against them) but if you’re enjoying your single self this month, don’t fall into the dating app trap. Wait a bit before you start swiping. This is your solo day.
- Don’t get drunk drunk – yes you should get a lil turnt on Valentine’s Day but don’t get sloppy drunk. It’s not a good look and your liver doesn’t need that drama. Enjoy a few drinks but don’t get messy, especially because getting drunk can cause you to commit the next don’t….
- Avoid calling your ex – again, don’t put yourself in the drama! There’s a reason why your ex is your ex. This is why I suggested having “me time”. If you really want to time travel be sure to use protection.
- Do not seek attention on social media – you are not the only single person in the world. Don’t go on social media crying for attention, ain’t nobody got time for that
- Don’t allow jealousy to cloud your heart – the biggest lesson I’ve learned in all my years of being single and being solo on Valentine’s Day is jealousy gets you in trouble. Instead of focusing on why everyone around you is with someone (and they aren’t), focus on being an amazing gem! I’ve gotten major heartburn from being jealous and it’s not worth it!