Summer has been hot, hot, hot! The best thing about the sun, aside from boosting my glow, is I’ve increased my water intake. Let me make it clear – I have never avoided drinking water but I haven’t always had the best relationship with it either.
When it’s hot, you naturally reach for a glass of water but once the heat cooled down I decided to make an effort to drink at least five glasses a day. Without the heatwave encouraging me it’s been a bit of a struggle to stay committed.
I came up with a few ways to stick to my goals and I am so happy to share them with you today. If you’re considering getting more water in your life one of these might help you.
Do we really need to drink 8 glasses of water a day?
This is one of those health rumors we have all heard but is it a must? When I decided to make this commitment, I researched if eight glasses a day was crucial. Many professionals consider the eight glasses a day rule to be a myth – and one that needs to die.
Most professionals will advise you to listen to that instinct we all have called thirst. Okay, don’t go out there living that life cause you’re following that thirst (I see you) but listening to your body can be the ultimate guide in determining how much water to drink. Feel thirsty? Drink water.
It’s important to note every person is unique so how much water I need could vary from how much you need. I gathered it’s really important to have water included in your diet and if you don’t have a healthy relationship with water that what you should focus on changing.
Basically, don’t be that person who only drinks sodas or Starbucks. Balance that ish.
Listening to my body is the base of how I include water in my life but I like to have goals (I accomplish more when I have something to work towards) so I try to drink about five glasses of water a day. If I need more, my thirst encourages me to drink more. This water journey isn’t about beating myself up, it’s about giving my body more of something good.
Why is water so important?
- How about our body is made up of about 60% water so drinking it helps maintain the balance of our body fluids. That’s a not so glam way of saying we need water to help us with circulation, digestion, maintaining body temps. etc.
- Water can help your skin flourish babes. Is drinking water going to cure your acne? No. I have two zits smiling at me despite upping my water game but drinking water can really help with getting that glow.
- Drinking water helps your kidneys!! This is a biggie for me because kidney issues runs in my family so I’m def trying to help those lil babies as much as possible. Our kidneys cleanse our bodies and helps remove toxins. If we’re not getting enough fluids (hint water) your urine will be darker and will kinda smell funky.
These are just a few reasons why water is important for our bodies. If you’re one of those people that are like what’s water you are getting the side eye. It’s 2018, we need to be pampering our bodies with the elixir of life.
Take note of these 8 tips I used to help me drink more water:
- Drink a glass of water in the AM – as soon as I wake up I have a glass of water. Getting my water in first thing encourages me to drink more throughout the day. Plus, I’ve noticed it gives me more energy than my old cup of coffee. I’m not saying you can’t have coffee but try starting the day with water and see if you notice a difference.
- Add flavor to your water – if the taste of water is too bland for you (a common complaint), add a lil flavor to it. I love citrus flavors so lemon is my go to choice but you can add mint, berries, watermelon and more. Think of your fav flavor and infuse that water! Make the process easier by choosing a water bottle built for infusions.
- Set a schedule – if you’re used to running your life on a schedule this might work for you. Some people like to set timers to remind them to drink water. I just make a mental note to drink water when I wake up, a glass at lunch, one in the evening and one before bed. Look at that, four glasses without even trying. .
- Drink it at room temperature – I’ve never really liked cold water but it’s mostly because I have super sensitive teeth. Room temperature water is easier on my mouth but it’s also easier to chug. When I’m drinking cold water I tend to sip it and often don’t finish it, but if my water is room temp I’ll down a glass and pour myself another one right away. Boom – two glasses in one go.
- Keep a bottle in your workspace – if you’re not a fan of tap water don’t use that as an excuse to not get the good stuff in. Keep a bottle of water in your workplace and sip throughout the day.
- Swap a sweet drink for water – there was one summer where I drank almost nothing but soda and I felt like CRAP. I was tired all the time, moved like a slug, and it even hurt to pee (ouch!). I know right now there are human beings only drinking sweet drinks and they can’t put their finger on why they feel so cruddy. Make a start and substitute one sugary beverage for water.
- Drink a glass before bed – we started in the morning, now we’re ending the day with a glass of water. Just as my morning drink wakes me up, the night time drink actually helps wind me down. I also like to think it’s adding to my nighttime routine but that’s just me.
- Invest in a cute water bottle – this is a visual trick but when I have a nice water bottle, I want to use it! A water bottle means you always have water with you so there’s no excuse to drink up during the day. A simple infusion bottle helps you add flavor to your day or go for something more glam like this bottle.
Remember, it’s more about increasing the amount of water you drink than it is about drinking exactly eight glasses of water a day. If you were only drinking one cup of water a day imagine how happy your body would be if you increased it to four.
A final word of advice – don’t overdo it. You can drink too much water leading to possible water intoxication. Go slow and respect the water.
Let me know below – what’s your relationship with water like and which tip are you most excited to try?
8 Tips to Help You Drink More Water Daily
Glad you liked this post! The fun doesn’t have to stop. Here are a few of my fav posts!
- My friend ditched me for Hennesy, a lesson.
- Primark lingerie – sexy for £5!
- Minimalism: 5 Piece Jewelry Collection
Did you know I also have a small blogger + biz owner tips website? Here are a few ways you can connect with me over at The Coco Creativ:
- Get up to 50% off my one-on-one blog + biz coaching for Black Friday!
- If you want to start a banging blog read my step-by-step”How to Start a Blog” guide
- Discover ways to amp up your blog + biz in 2019 with these New Year Resolutions!