I am forever and always broke, don’t let the fact that I have a blog fool you. I’m a newbie blogger, my finances are in a sad state, i’m an almost entrepreneur and I’m currently saving every penny I have for something super important. I’m broke, living in one of the most amazing cities in the world and it’s the middle of summer.
How’s a broke chick supposed to summer?
That’s exactly what I asked myself. The start of summer has been an epic bundle of blah. I haven’t done anything amazing, I’ve sat in my room for most of it because staying home is really one of the most affordable things you can do when your coints are low.
I realized if I don’t get out there and do something I’ll be super mad at myself come autumn for missing out. In the past, I would have spent my savings in a bid to keep up with social media. Probably went on some glam trip to who knows and come back truly broke.
Nah, eff that. Instead, I’m going to prove I can enjoy what’s left of the summertime while respecting my brokeness and my budget cause ballin on monopoly money is for the birds.
30 ways to have fun in summer even when you’re broke – psst, tips 1 – 24 are freeish, tips 25 – 30 might cost a little bit.
- Have a solo slumber party – put on a face mask, play your fav trap music, pop in one of those super fake frozen pizzas and settle down to watch a movie or two. Even better, invite a friend over and make it a real slumber party!
- Take a free tour – I love doing these and this weather is perfect for exploring. My fav has to be the East London Art Tour because who doesn’t love quirky East London? The tours are free but you can leave a tip at the end if you feel to.
- Get your laugh on – Angel Comedy Club has FREE entry. Perfect for a date or just an escape from your money woes this summer. Seats fill up fast so get there early.
- Take photos around town – Trust me, those walking tours will have you picking up your camera for sure. Keep the momentum going and snap a few pics around your neighborhood!
- Have a picnic – there are a ton of green spaces around the city and lucky you if you happen to live by a few parks. Take a blanket and some snacks and chill for a bit in the sun!
- Visit a museum – a lot of the museums are FREEEEE so there’s no reason why you can’t enrich your mind, spark your creativity and take a couple pics for the gram at a few exhibitions this summer.
- Have a garden party – no I don’t mean one of those fancy uppity parties (cause a bisssh ain’t uppity). Invite a few of your besties over and chill in the garden! Everyone has to bring a snack and a beverage (that’s how you work around this broke thing!) and good vibes only.
- Have a movie marathon – choose a theme or movie series and see how many movies you can watch in a weekend!
- Visit the library – this might sound booooring but the library could be a treasure trove of activities for the summer. This could be a lifesaver too if you have little ones as there’s almost always something to do for kids at the local library and they’re usually free! Plus, books.
- Bird’s eye view – see the city from a new perspective at the Sky Garden. I was recently treated to a view from The Shard and it was incredible but the Sky Garden offers the same view and it’s FREE, just book in advance.
- Listen to a podcast – I love tuning into a podcast when I’m stuck on the bus; it helps transport me into my own little world. Plus podcasts can help open your mind to even more ideas of free things to do this summer! Recently been jamming to The Slumflower – she gon get you right babes.
- Play board games – Monopoly, Connect 4, UNO! Grab your flatmate and have a game night.
- Have a free day – I am going to share my fav day with you – FREE DAY. It is very sacred to me and I try to do it about three times a year, with one of those days falling during summer. Basically, you look for and collect coupons for as many free things as you can find. It can be free food, free activities, free samples, as long as it’s free and interesting to you. Choose a day to run around and redeem your freebies. Birthdays are amazing for getting free coupons but you can always score a free drink or treat when you sign up for a company’s newsletter. Happy Free Day!
- Enjoy the sunset – I love having a cup of tea on my balcony as the sun sets. It’s a nice time to reflect on where I’m at with my life, watch people go about their business, and feel peaceful. Then I get a lil ratchet, start playing Drake, do a lil dance and move from tea to wine. Boss moves.
- Break a world record – sift through the world records, find one you think you can beat and SMASH IT! This could be a fun activity if you have kids or something random to do with your friends.
- Volunteer – not only will this get you out of the house, but you’ll have a chance to make new friends, possibly learn new skills and give back to your community. I volunteered at UK Black Pride and had an amazing time! I got a chance to visit my first Pride parade EVER and connect with the community. Winning!
- Have a scavenger/treasure hunt – this can be done with little kids or with older kids/adults as well. A little effort and planning can lead to an afternoon of fun.
- Window shop – some people hate window shopping but I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it. There’s something strangely fun about interacting with things I might never own, esp luxury items.
- Have all the sex – it’s summer, it’s hot, your boo is hot…see where I’m going? Have a little frisky fun and remember, if you’re not ready to go unprotected, bring those prophylactics (that’s my weird way of telling you to use protection). Don’t forget, you can always go solo and play with some toys…
- Try a new recipe – use ingredients you already have and create something new for lunch or dinner.
- Find a free event – use Eventbrite to discover free talks and masterclasses to attend. It gives you a chance to grow and there might even be free refreshments!
- Get a job, get a promotion, start a business – if you’re broke you need more money, right? Let’s do everything we can to get those coins flowing. If you’re not working, look for a job. Even a part-time job can help elevate your pockets. Already working? Buff up those skills to help get a promotion! If the thought of working for the man is killing you softly try creating your own business. Summer is the perfect time to accomplish these goals!
- Hang out with your family – spend time with your loved ones, especially if you haven’t seen them in a while. Use some of the ideas like a games night or movie night to add to the experience.
- Get your date on – revive that Tinder account. Summer is the perfect time to go on a few dates and meet your potential bae. Whether you’re looking for something serious or happy with a fling be sure to stay safe on your date. Also, walk with protection just in case things speed up a bit…
- Catch a movie – I take advantage of Vue’s Super Monday Deal and save even more by bringing my own snacks – which you can totally do. Super Monday allows you to watch the hottest movies for only £3.99. Yes sir. I shall be there.
- Grab a Groupon – if you really want to have a fun night out this summer, Groupon can help you save a few coins! There are deals for bars (my go to), dining experiences and more. Be sure to read the terms and conditions AND the reviews before purchasing.
- Plan a proper staycation – can’t even afford a Groupon vacation? Do a staycation instead! No need to splurge on a hotel or tire yourself travel, you can stay in the comfort of your home and relax. Plan a few local activities, try a new restaurant, use that Vue Super Monday deal!
- Listen to a local band – there’s no way I can afford festival tix (unless bae treating me ya heard) but I can enjoy the sounds of a local band at a bar. Ask a friend, search online, or just keep your eyes open for posters in your neighbourhood. Budget for them dranks!
- Have a BBQ – meat costs money but you can keep costs low by asking friends to contribute. If you don’t have a grill, get one of those cheapo portable ones or borrow a neighbours (be sure to invite them).
- Shop, shop, shop – go through your closet and decide a few items you need to update or replace and hit those SUMMER SALES! I literally wait for summer to add to my wardrobe. Hellooooo five pound finds!
- Try an Instagram food fav – you don’t have to spend a ton of money to enjoy the latest foodie find AND bonus points, taking a pic of an Instagram food fav can totally get you likes on the gram. Try one of these favs to get you started: Matcha flavored anything, healthy food, brunch vibes or start your own foodie trend!
- Update your hairstyle – this could be free if you do a simple style update but it could cost you if you go for something more adventurous that requires a professional. Either way, have fun switching it up!
- Get a tattoo to remember the good times! If you’ve managed to have a fun summer (hopefully from some of these tips I’ve shared) get a tat so you never forget it. I literally just thought of my next tattoo idea and you might be seeing something sooooon!
Okay, there you have it – 30 ideas to have a fun summer. Guys, even if nothing in my list calls out to you the main idea is get your butt up and go out there and live. Don’t let the lack of funds prohibit you from having a bomb ass summer.
Let me know which of my ideas you want to try in the remaining weeks of summer! I hope you get out there and LIVE YOUR LIFE!
30 Ways to Have a Fun Summer When You’re Broke
Glad you liked this post! The fun doesn’t have to stop. Here are a few of my fav posts!
- 8 Ways to Get More Water in Your Life
- Primark lingerie – sexy for £5!
- Minimalism: 5 Piece Jewelry Collection
Did you know I also have a small blogger + biz owner tips website? Here are a few ways you can connect with me over at The Coco Creativ:
- Get up to 50% off my one-on-one blog + biz coaching for Black Friday!
- If you want to start a banging blog read my step-by-step”How to Start a Blog” guide
- Discover ways to amp up your blog + biz in 2019 with these New Year Resolutions!